So, shit. Sorry. So slow about posts. I am back in school getting my masters. Takes all my time. Anyway, I will try to keep it up. Here are two best of 09' lists. One from Whitman which I thought was really good and one from my dearest brother Kyle which is also good. Dig.
Best of 09’
01. Andrew Jackson Jihad "Can't Maintain" (Asian Man)
02. Snowstorm "Snowstorm" (Monotone)
03. Woods "Songs Of Shame" (Shrimper/Woodsist)
04. Evangelista "Prince of Truth" (Constellation)
05. Former Ghosts "Fluers" (Upset The Rhythm)
06. Stephen Steinbrink "Ugly Unknowns" (Gilgongo)
07. Anni Rossi "Rockwell" (4AD)
08. Why? "Eskimo Snow" (Anticon)
09. Gowns "Broken Bones" (Latitudes)
TOP NINE SONGS OF 2009
(that don't appear on any of my top albums)
01. "Bromance" by Treasure Mammal
02. "Feel Anymore" by Captain Ahab
03. "Ice Cream Freeze" by Nicole Kidman
04. "New Orleans" by Former Ghosts
05. "The Cops (Tucson Violence Song)" by Stephen Steinbrink
06. "If I Left Tomorrow" by Simon Joyner
07. "House" by Sings
08. "Blue Widow" by Clark 8
09. "Shaved Like A Razor" by The Corndawg
10. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm - Just good, crunchy, well produced, big venue, guitar rock in a year filled with not well produced "bedroom" pop.
9. jj - jj n 2 - I just kept going back for more. I couldn't help it. My gf makes fun of me for this one.
8. Woods - Songs of Shame - These guys kind of got buried in the barrage of lo-fi pop music that came out this year. Stuck with me throughout the year.
7. Future of the Left - Travels with Myself and Another - The dudes from McClusky. Angry, snarky, English, kind of punk.
6. Japandroids - Post-Nothing - Just good times. So much energy.
5. Smith Westerns - S/T - I think these dudes are like 17. "Be My Girl" is one of the best songs of the year.
4. Real Estate - S/T - Part of the Underwater Peoples group that had a pretty sick year. Jersey, lo-fi, beach pop. But in a sad way.
3. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come - My favorite Goats album since Sunset Tree.
2. The Antlers - Hospice - I'm figuring to catch some flack on this one. I just think it's a really well written and emotional set of songs. A bit twee at times for sure. Melodramatic? Absolutely. But dammit if it doesn't have some stunning moments.
1. Animal Collective - MPP - This leaked the day after Christmas last year. I've been listening to it since. One of the best of the decade. If they would have put "What Would I Want, Sky? on this, I would have retired and moved to Barbados. I'm not sure why.
My list will be out soon.